The rainy season brings in some respite from the sweltering heat, but it also brings along the risk of some health challenges. We give a number of tips (though not exhaustive) to help you stay healthy and safe during this period while enjoying the season.
- Always carry your umbrella, you never know when it may start pouring.
- Take Vitamin C in its natural form (fruits) or as food supplement to keep virus at bay and improve immunity.
- Shower after getting. It may sound silly but it helps get rid of many infections by adding few drops of disinfectants.
- Sip hot tea or coffee to keep you from catching cold or other infections from sudden body temperature change.
- Hygiene and cleanliness: this is the most important thing to do during rainy season as microorganisms tend to grow during the rainy season and leaves you with cold. Always wash and sanitize your hands regularly.
- Water intake: the change in temperature can make you drink less water naturally. Drinking plenty of water helps in draining toxins from the body. However, ensure you drink boiled or purified water to avoid water borne diseases like diarrhea or stomach upset.
- Avoid the temptation of eating street food especially during the rainy season to avoid infections.
- Insect repellant: during the rainy season, there is a rise in the number of mosquitoes and other insects. To prevent mosquito bites and stay safe, use mild mosquito repellant and mosquito nets. Also stay away from stagnant water as it is a breeding ground for mosquitoes.